Leila’s Roasted Beef Tacos with Smoky Guajillo Salsa
A Juicy, Tender Pot Roast with Mexi-Flair
These are the most "melt in your mouth," flavorful tacos!! They can be served with or without the smoky salsa. The meat is flavorful on it own.
- 3-4 lb. Chuck Roast, patted dry
- Olive Oil
- Ground Cumin
- Mexican Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- 1 White Onion, cut in half and sliced into thin strips
- 4 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced length wise or minced
- 1 T Minced Fresh Oregano
- 5 Roma Tomatoes, whole
- 1 T. Butter
- (1) 4 oz. Can diced green chilies
- 1/2 C Beef Broth
- 1/4 C Tomato Juice
- 1 Bay Leaf
- (18) 6 inch tortillas (I like corn, but you probably like flour)
- 8 oz. Sour cream, to serve (optional)
Smoky Guajillo Salsa Recipe (make ahead)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. On the stove, In a hot dutch oven or heavy pot roast whole tomatoes so that the skins are charred lightly on all sides (no oil). This gives the tomatoes a nice smoky flavor. On a cutting board dice your tomatoes. Add a pinch of salt and set aside.
3. Add 1 T olive oil to the same pot and sauté onion and garlic and oregano. Set aside when the garlic and onions have a great caramel color, add a pinch of salt.
4. Season the meat LIBERALLY with salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder and chili powder. Be obnoxious about it, to almost form a crust with the seasonings. In the same pot sear the meat in a bit of olive oil. To give it a nice brown color. Set the meat aside and deglaze the pan with the broth and a pad of butter, scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to get all of those lovely seasonings into the sauce. Add tomato juice, meat, veggies & chilies to the pot.
5. Transfer Pot to oven and roast 3-4 hours, until very tender and easy to shred.
6. Remove the fat. Shred the meat with a fork. Mix the meat and the broth so that everything is incorporated well.
Heat tortillas in a dry skillet, until they're warm and soft. Serve meat in tacos with Leila's Smoky Guajillo Salsa & sour cream.
Plan 3 tacos per adult. Serves 4-6