Complement you next family dinner (let's say pork chops) with this delicious Portobello Mushroom Rice.
This recipe has the "Four Food Essentials," it's Simple, Healthy, Easy and Flavorful.
Look at what the acronym spells:
S. H. E. F.
Oh, Leila you're so silly.
Portobello Mushroom Rice
- 2 C brown or wild rice
- 1 T chicken bouillon (optional)
- olive oil
- 1 smallish onion, diced small
- 1-2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 6 oz Portobello mushrooms, stems removed, chopped
- 2 loose cups arugula or spinach, roughly chopped
- basil, chiffonade (optional)
Start your rice with a little oil and chicken bouillon (or salt) and cook according to instructions. I always use a rice cooker.
On medium heat, sautee onion and garlic in a spot of oil until carmalized. Add the mushrooms, a bit more oil and a sprinkle of salt.
You may need to reduce heat to avoid burning, cook for a few until the mushroom have reduced by half. Set aside.
When the rice is ready, toss in the mushroom mixture and chopped greens. Now taste, add salt as needed.
Serve with fresh basil on top.